Have you heard of Mesothelioma?
The word Mesothelioma had no meaning to me until I came across Heather's story.
At 36 years old, and only three months after giving birth to her daughter, Heather was diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma. She was only given 15 months to live . . . (read the rest of Heather's story here).
Mesothelioma is a rare cancer caused by exposure to airborne asbestos fibers. It is deadly, but preventable.
Once called the “miracle mineral” (because of it's durability and heat resistance), asbestos was used through the 1970's in hundreds of construction and consumer products.
This cancer causing mineral can be found in insulation, flooring, ventilation fixtures, siding and roofing. As well as toasters, crockpots, fake snow, hairdryers, and talcum powder.
Exposure to asbestos causes health issues such as asbestosis, and mesothelioma, a very serious cancer.
No amount of exposure is safe.
Second hand exposure to asbestos fibers on clothing and hair is also extremely dangerous.
It is easy for unintentional exposure to asbestos to occur because asbestos particles are not visible to the human eye.
Be sure to consult a licensed professional before completing any demolition on your home if you suspect there may be asbestos.
Asbestos becomes a serious health hazard when it is damaged and particles are airborne so look for signs of wear and tear around your home.
When completing DIY projects be sure to use non-toxic materials. Asbestos has even recently been found in children's crayons and toys.
Mesothelioma Awareness Day is Saturday, September 26th.
Mesothelioma Awareness Day is a day dedicated to spreading awareness of this deadly, but preventable cancer.
Spreading awareness about this form an cancer and it's causes, could save a life!
To help spread awareness for Mesothelioma Awareness Day, donate your social status here and join the @CancerAlliance in their #MesoAwarenessDay tweet chat on Friday, September 25th at 1pm EST. Go here for more info