All-natural lip balm is one of the easiest homemade skin care products to make. It involves little more than measuring, melting, and pouring.
It's always funny when I gift a tube of lip balm to a friend because they are often excited and impressed that I made it myself; I hate to tell them how easy it is!
If you want to impress your friends, or would just like to have soft, nourished lips using lip balm you can trust (no better way to know what's in your products than making it yourself!), give this lip balm recipe a try.
Many commercial lip balms contain parabens, artificial colors, artificial sweeteners, and other toxic ingredients. Make your own and you can avoid them all!
Homemade Lip Balm Recipe
Makes approximately fifteen .15 ounce tubes. Tubes are available on Amazon. This set of 50 comes with stickers. (If you are just starting out, you might want to try a pack of 25 tubes). Also, find them at Mountain Rose Herbs.
- 1/4 cup beeswax pastilles (Buy from Mountain Rose Herbs or Amazon)
- 1/8 cup cocoa butter (Buy from Mountain Rose Herbs or Amazon)
- 1 tablespoon sweet almond oil (Buy from Mountain Rose Herbs or Amazon) – May substitute avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon jojoba oil – (Buy from Mountain Rose Herbs or Amazon)
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon peppermint or sweet orange essential oil
- Melt the cocoa butter and beeswax in the top of a double boiler.
- Once melted, whisk in the sweet almond and jojoba oil
- Remove from heat and stir in essential oils (if using) to distribute evenly
- Pour into lip balm tubes – you can do this by transferring mixture to a glass measuring cup with a spout (such as this one), or use a small pot with a spout on the edge (like this).
- To make the job easier, consider purchasing a lip balm pouring tray
Lip Balm Resources
Lip balm is super easy to make. Keep the right tools and ingredients on hand and you'll be ready to make it anytime you want!
Super helpful for keeping tubes upright.
Makes it easy and mess-free to make a bunch of lip balm at once.
Latest posts by Stacy Karen (see all)
- Things to Make with Dried Lavender (and Lavender Essential Oil) - August 28, 2018
- Culinary Uses for Lavender - August 27, 2018
- Natural Remedies for a Sore Throat - August 20, 2018